Charity registration No. SC002876  
Sunday December 15th. 2013
Fr. Stan's first Mass in his home parish of Gdansk
n Sunday,  December 8, feast of the Immaculate Conception, Fr Stanislaw Pamula celebrated his First Mass in his home parish of St. Albert, Gdansk. It is something that everyone present will always remember  for the beauty of its liturgy, the tremendous witness of the faith of the Polish people, and the wonderful way in which Fr Stan made his first mass such a wonderful and moving ceremony. He is truly a remarkable young priest, and his humility and deep sincerity shone through the whole service.  We can be very proud to have him as a priest in our diocese for he is a very devout young man with a great desire and enthusiasm to serve God in his ministry to the people. He has endeared himself to the people of the diocese wherever he served as a deacon,  and thirty-seven from parishes in the diocese where Fr Stan had worked as deacon, including Bishop Toal, Canon MacKay and Fr Tom, journeyed with him to Gdansk to be present for his first Mass. Unfortunately, two other priests had to cancel their flight because of the storm, one being the recently ordained Fr Tony Wood, Arisaig, who had arranged to meet his Polish  uncle whom he had not seen for nine years. St. Albert’s  parish has 8,000 parishioners, with five priests to serve them, and the church, which holds 2,000 people, was packed to capacity. The parish priest, who is a young man, had  the beautiful liturgy arranged to perfection, and there were thirty in the sanctuary including priests and servers. The servers did everything almost to military precision, but with great reverence, all which added to the great dignity of the Mass.
Our journey to Gdansk, our welcome, our presence at the ceremonies and at the wonderful reception. Thirty-seven of us gathered at Glasgow airport on Friday evening where we met Fr Stan, his parents and relations and booked in for the flight. Gdansk had suffered the same storm the day after ours, with heavy falls of snow, and our flight was cancelled to Saturday evening. However, we all spent a very happy evening in the Holiday Inn at the air company’s expense, and had a day out in Glasgow. We arrived in Gdansk about midnight on Saturday as all the flights were delayed by the storm. The kindly Brigidene sisters stayed up to welcome us to their lovely modern convent, which has over 40 ensuite rooms. The convent, chapel and large conference centre was a gift to the sisters from  a very wealthy benefactor, and is well used for retreats, conferences and spiritual weekends for people. After a a good breakfast, we were taken by bus to St. Albert’s church for Fr. Stan’s first Mass. There was several feet of snow around, but the roads had very quickly been cleared. Obviously, being on the Baltic and close to Russia,  they know how to deal with heavy snow falls  to keep the traffic moving.                                                                             
The beautiful sanctuary of the St. Albert's church with Fr. Stan offering his  first Mass