Charity registration No. SC002876  
Sunday August 11th. 2013
Well done, Eilidh! For the next fortnight, Eilidh Davies is replacing Stuart Taylor, editor of Lochaber News, who is on  holiday. Her  commanding headlines on the front page of this week's edition about the traffic lights at Glenfintaig has been welcomed by all the motorists who use this road. For the first time, their frustration, caused by the long delays, has been put fairly and squarely before Bear who are responsible for maintaining the roads in Lochaber. She sought the support of the local councillors in her article, and each of them are highly critical of Bear for  having no sense of urgency and not keeping the public informed as regards their intentions. There is every likelihood that the traffic lights could be there for a very long time, and this protest has elicited a response from Bear that would not otherwise have been given to the public, and perhaps will be responsible for some action.     Eilidh is a highly professional journalist, and is also employed by the BBC each year to interview the competitors at the International Snooker Championships at Sheffield. Motorists will be grateful to Eilidh, and we look forward to next week's edition to see what response there may be.
My personal  observation of the effects of the traffic lights on this section road, which I travel each Sunday morning  going to say early Mass at Invergarry, is not just the frustration of motorists, but also the long lines of traffic that it causes during the tourist season, which makes overtaking difficult, and some times dangerous for holiday makers, since they are not familiar with all the dangerous corners and hazards of the road.
Visit of St. Mary MacKillop to Drimnin 25 October—5 November, 1873 Sisters June and Diane, accompanied by Ronnie Campbell, made the long  journey last week to Drimnin House where Sister Mary stayed for a  fortnight, and they were received with great kindness by the sister of the  owner, David Lewis, who showed them around the house. Mr Lewis and  his wife are very much aware of the importance of the visit of a future  saint, and the private  chapel where she assisted at Mass is now  called  the Chapel Bedroom. There is a framed picture  there of Mary and the story of her visit, and  also a Papal Blessing from Pius 1X . They also  saw the bedroom where Mary slept during her  visit. You can imagine how much all this meant  to the sisters!  The story on the picture  “Sir Charles Gordon(1791-1845) was one of the landed gentry of  Scotland who brought his wife, Lady Helen (neé Fletcher, 1807-1887)  and their children to Drimnin Estate in 1815. At that time they were the  only Catholics in the midst of Protestants. They  demolished the orginal Drimnin Castle and built a  chapel in its place.  When Sister Mary MacKillop and Mrs Laura  Vaughan sailed up the Sound of Mull on a fine  autumn day, they could see the snow on the  mountains. The steamer stopped off the coast and  they were welcomed by young Helen Gordon and  across to the mainland in a rowing boat. Mary  stayed for two weeks in Drimnin House with the  widowed Lady Helen, and experienced true highland  hospitality, especially during her days of ill-health.  
Her host was delighted to have her as the first religious sister in her house,  and possibly the first in that part of the country  since the times of the  Protestant persecutions.  Mary was surprised to learn that her father had also stayed at the house.   Ladt Gordon told  Mary of an incident during that visit when she  attempted to answer Mass in he private Chapel, Alexander told his host  that, as he was a  cleric in Minor Orders, he should be the one to do this,  not she!  While at Drimnin, Mary met the lcoa, priest, Fr Donald MacKay, by now an old man who ahd been a companion of her father’s at both the seminary on Lismore and the Scots College in Rome. He took her across to the Isle of Mull to visit Mrs Campbell, a relative through her father's family. This was the sister of Fr. Duncan MacNab who had moved to Australia. Mary wrote to her mother of the joy she felt  at visiting people who remembered  the family.”
Sisters June and Diane take a trip down memory lane to Drimnin House
The restored chapel of St. Columba
The former private chapel with its wood-lined ceiling
Interior of the restored Saint Columba church
Photos from Sister June’s Ipad